Friday, August 13, 2010

What Are You Afraid Of?

My workout today was all about the legs, back and abs. I just know I won't be able to walk for the next 2 days. My legs were put to the test today with more lunges and squats than I can count! My abs have finally stopped being super sore and that's fabulous! It really is no fun when it hurts to sit up in bed or to laugh. I have almost survived my first week of P90x and I'm so excited!! I know as I continue with my workouts I will only get stronger. I am definitely looking forward to that!

Today my devotional thought comes again from Francis Chan's, Forgotten God. In this particular chapter of the book, Chan talks about fear; fears about rejection, what others think about us, or what if God doesn't come through. He says that "fear has a way of channeling our thought process." The thing that caught my attention is when Chan addresses our fear of God not coming through for us. I found this to be very interesting. Chan says, "I think the fear of God failing us leads us to 'cover for God'. This means we ask for less, expect less, and are satisfied with less because we are afraid to ask for or expect more." Think about how much this must grieve the heart of God to see His children hold back from relationship with the Holy Spirit out of a fear that He won't come through. Luke 11:13 says this, "If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" So the question we have to ask ourselves is do we really believe that God gives His Spirit to those who ask? The truth is it comes down to faith and whether or not you believe God keeps His promises or not? "There is a difference between believing what God has promised and praying for things you'd like to be true (Chan)." Do you trust God when He says no and do you still believe He is doing what is best?

I want to leave you with this quote by Tertullian:
"The Lord challenges us to suffer persecutions and to confess him. He wants those who belong to him to be brave and and fearless. He himself shows how weakness of the flesh is overcome by courage of the Spirit. This is the testimony of the apostles and in particular of the representative, administrating Spirit. A Christian is fearless."

Something to think about..

No comments:

Post a Comment