Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Empty Words

Well, it was Plyometrics day. This workout is just hard. If you know me well, then you know it takes a lot for me to sweat. Let me tell you, plyometrics makes me sweat a lot. I enjoy doing it, but I'm glad I only have to do this workout once a week! I still don't jump as high as Tony and his team, but I know in time that will come! I am just glad that I survived another day of P90x! I'm looking forward to my workout tomorrow!!

My devotional thought today comes from Isaiah 55:11, "So shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it." This verse came alive to me back in April of this year when I attended the Exponential Church Planting Conference. I had the opportunity to hear Louie Giglio speak and he spoke on this verse. I was reminded of this verse tonight when I read my devotional book. I just love this verse. Have you ever thought about this before? When God speaks, His words have purpose and they will not return to Him empty. In my devotional tonight, this particular author shared a story about a letter he received in 1997, from a man who had attended a crusade he preached at in 1990. This man had written the preacher to tell him that he wished he would have listened to what the preacher had said and then he wouldn't be in prison. But what he also told the preacher was that he finally repented and testified to the new life that he now experienced. His only request was for a Bible and Christian literature in his language, which the preacher sent him. Eighteen years after the crusade, the preacher learned that this man was released from prison and now attends the church that was started in the town where the crusade was held.

Even though 18 years ago, this man turned from the words God was speaking to him through this pastor at a crusade, God's words to him had a purpose and it suceeded. This story is an awesome example of God's words not coming back to Him empty. My thought for you is this, even though we may never see the fruit of our labor, we need to allow God to use us to speak His words into the lives of others so that His words do not come back empty and accomplish all that He has purposed for it. I just stand an awe of the God I serve. God doesn't have empty words or empty promises. Every word of God has a purpose and it will always succeed!

Something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment