Friday, August 13, 2010

Power Made Perfect in Weakness

Today my P90x workout was an hour and a half of Yoga. When I first saw on my schedule that I would be do Yoga, I thought to myself how hard can this really be? Well, let me tell you it is very difficult and extremely tiring. I was amazed at how flexible the people were in the video. I'm not flexible at all and today I learned how not flexible I really am! Haha. The first 45 minutes of the workout is very repetitive. You do all kind of things I've never heard of, like downard dog, upward dog, warrior 1, 2, and 3 among so many other things, but I can't remember the names. The last 45 minutes is all about balance. I didn't do too bad during this, however during the majority of the workout I fell over multiple times...haha! But just like Tony says, "do your best and forget the rest." It was definitely an interesting workout and I'm not sure I'll be a Yoga loving girl at the end. But I do hope to become more flexible by the end of P90x!

My devotion for today comes from Forgotten God by Francis Chan. Chan is talking about Jesus taking up our cross. Chan says "Jesus is doing more than calling us to endure the daily, circumstantial troubles of life. It is a call to radical faith. Jesus is calling us to be willing to suffer anything and forsake everything for the sake of the gospel." Jesus calls us to total surrender and to give up all that we have and for us to realize that His Power is made perfect in our weakness. Chan uses the scripture from 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10 which says, "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' There I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Wow, what a claim for Paul to make; to gladly boast of his weaknesses so the power of Christ may rest on him. How many of us have ever thought about gladly boasting of our weaknesses? We normally think of weaknesses, hardships or calamities in our lives as bad things. But Paul is telling us that we should gladly boast of these things because it is in our weakness that Jesus' power is made perfect. That when we are weak, we are strong. We can be strong in our weaknesses only because of the power of Jesus Christ. If we are always looking at the weaknesses and hardships in our lives in a negative way, how then can Christ's power rest upon us to make us strong? I want to have that same attitude as Paul. I want to gladly boast of my weaknesses so that Christ's power can be made perfect.

Something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment